Dario Paez was born in Chile but received his Ph.D. from the University of Louvain, Belgium, in 1983 and is currently Professor of Social Psychology at the University of Basque Country in Spain. He has published numerous studies on the mental health, collective memory and social identity of refugees, migrants, and others who have been exposed to traumatic events, and is currently working on the impact of collective violence on culture and emotional climate and on collective processes of coping with traumatic political events.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Worchel, S., Morales, J. F., Paez, D., & Deschamps, J. C. (Eds.). (1998). Social identity: International perspectives. London: Sage Publications.
- Basabe, N., Paez, D., Valencia, J., Gonzalez, J. L., Rime, B., & Diener, E. (2002). Cultural dimensions, socioeconomic development, climate, and emotional hedonic level. Cognition and Emotion, 16, 103-125.
- Basabe, N., Rime, B., Paez, D., Pennebaker, J., Valencia, J., Diener, E., & Gonzalez, J. L. (2000). Sociocultural factors predicting subjective experience of emotion: A collective level analysis. Psicothema, 12, 55-69.
- Beristain, C. M., Paez, D., & Gonzalez, J. L. (2000). Rituals, social sharing, silence, emotions and collective memory claims in the case of the Guatemalan genocide. Psicothema, 12, Suplemento, 117-130.
- Fernandez, I., Paez, D., & Gonzalez, J. L. (2005). Independent and interdependent self-construals and socio-cultural factors in 29 nations. International Review of Social Psychology, 18, 35-64.
- Green, E., Deschamps, J. C., & Paez, D. (2005). Variation of individualism and collectivism within and between 20 countries: A typological analysis. Journal of Cross Cultural Psychology, 36, 321-339.
- Paez, D., Basabe, N., Ubillos, S., & Gonzalez, J. L. (2007). Social sharing, participation in demonstrations, emotional climate, and coping with collective violence after the March 11th Madrid bombings. Journal for Social Issues, 63, 323-328.
- Paez, D., Liu, J. H., Techio, E., Slawuta, P., Zlobina, A., & Cabecinhas, R. (2008). “Remembering” World War II and willingness to fight: Sociocultural factors in the social representation of historical warfare across 22 societies. Journal of Cross Cultural Psychology, 39(4), 373-380.
- Paez, D., Velasco, C., & Gonzalez, J. L. (1999). Expressive writing and the role of alexythimia as a dispositional deficit in self-disclosure and psychological health. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 630-641.
- Velasco, C., Fernandez, I., Campos, M., Paez, D., & Martinez, F. (2006). Perceived emotional intelligence, alexithymia, coping and emotional regulation. Psicothema, 18, Supl., 89-94.
- Zlobina, A., Basabe, N., Paez, D., & Furnham, A. (2005). Sociocultural adjustment of immigrants: Universal and group-specific predictors. International Review of Intercultural Relations, 30, 195-211.
- Igartua, J., & Paez, D. (1997). Art and remembering traumatic collective events: The case of the Spanish Civil War. In J. Pennebaker, D. Paez and B. Rimé (Eds.), Collective memory of political events. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Marques, J., & Paez, D. (1994). The "black sheep effect": Social categorization, rejection of ingroup deviates, and perception of group variability. European Review of Social Psychology, 5, 37-68.
- Marques, J., Paez, D., & Serra, A. (1997). Collective memory processes associated with traumatic war experiences: Social sharing, emotional climate and the transgenerational transmission of information in the case of the Portuguese colonial war. In J. Pennebaker, D. Paez and B. Rimé (Eds.), Collective memory of political events. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Paez, D., Basabe, N., Valdoseda, M., Velasco, C., & Iraurgui, J. (1995). Confrontation-inhibition, alexithymia and health. In J. Pennebaker (Ed.), Emotion, disclosure and health. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cuestiones Especiales: Cultura y Psicologia Social
- Psicologia Social de la Salud
School of Psychology
University of the Basque Country
Av. de Tolosa 70
20018 San Sebastian
- Phone: 34 943 015678
- Fax: 34 943 015670